Cutting salt, improving health!
If you haven’t heard about the National Salt Reduction Initiative, you will.
The New York City Health Department is coordinating a national effort to prevent heart attacks and strokes by reducing the amount of salt in packaged and restaurant foods. Composed of 72 partners, including 15 cities, 29 state authorities, 19 national health organizations, and 9 state and local associations, it will have an impact on you.
The Salty Facts
- Americans consume twice the recommended limit of salt each day, causing widespread high blood pressure and placing millions at risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Only 11% of the sodium in our diets comes from their own saltshakers.
- Nearly 80% of sodium in our diets is added to foods before they’re sold.
- Even people with normal blood pressure will benefit from lowering their salt intake.
- The goal of the NSRI is to reduce Americans’ salt intake by 20% over five years. This will save tens of thousands of lives each year and billions of dollars in healthcare costs.
Sample Pledging Companies
Boar’s Head, Butterball, Campbell Soup, Hain Celestial, Heinz, Hostess, Kraft, Mars, Snyder’s-Lance, Starbucks Coffee, Subway, Target, Unilver